This exercise will familiarize one with the core features of the msTracker in about half an hour.
- Visit http://msTracker.com/submit.php and choose "msTracker Demonstration" from the drop-down menu using the "Submit" button, or access the submission page directly here.
Fill in the submission form, use the "Browse" button to identify a file on your local machine, and click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page. E-mail notification of the new submission is sent to the journal's administrator.
- Enter the example administrator's office at http://msTracker.com. Your manuscript will appear under the heading "New Submissions/Needs Accessioning."
- From the administrator's Action Needed Display, inspect your cover letter and manuscript using the links under "View."
- Save the file at an easy-to-find place on your local hard drive. (At this point the administrator inspects the file for adherence to the journal's submission guidelines and saves any necessary modifications. An option to import the submission file directly is presented later, should the skipping of this step be desired.)
- Click the "Add" link under "Actions" and choose the "New Submission" link on the page that follows.
- Verify the manuscript's title, abstract, tracking number etc. and click "Submit."
- One is then taken to the "Assign An Author" screen. The corresponding author's last name is imported as the search term. Click "Submit" to see if the person's information is already in the system. If not, they can be added using the form at the bottom of the results page. (Creating a record for yourself provides a more realistic demonstration.)
- Select the desired author (yourself), as well as the options to set as correspondent, to send acknowledgement, and to change status. Click "Submit."
- Next, click on the "Upload File" link on the manuscript information page. Use the "Browse" button to locate the file on your local machine, check the "Change Status" box and click "Submit." (An option to import the submission file directly is presented, should the skipping of this step be desired.)
- The manuscript will now appear in the editor-in-chief's Action Needed Display and is removed from the administrator's New Submissions file. Exit the application using the link at the upper right and re-enter via the editor-in-chief office link on the home page. (Note: It is possible to process a manuscript entirely from within the administrator's office, making the application scalable from single-person operations to journals with complex editorial structures.)
- Click on the manuscript's number to be taken to its information page. Follow the "Assign Editor" link.
- Choose John Doe from the drop-down menu and click "Submit."
- Click on the "Reviewer Search" link at the top of the page. Since you do not have a reviewer file yet, enter your name and contact information in the box to the left and click "Submit." The manuscript is now moved to the administrator's Action Needed Display.
- Exit the msTracker and log back in using the sample administrator office link on the home page.
- Click on the manuscript's number to be taken to its information page, then follow the "Assign/Solicit Reviewer" link.
- Search for the desired reviewer by last name. If a record is not found, one can be created at the bottom of the results page. Create a reviewer record for yourself and click "Submit."
- Select the desired reviewer, check the "Change Status" box, and click "Submit."
- Review the letter, make any desired changes, and click "Send" to have it delivered to the reviewer. (Depending on the options chosen, a link to the manuscript file, the abstract, and links at which to agree, decline and provide the review are included.)
- The review request will soon arrive in your mailbox. Follow the link provided near the bottom of the message to complete your review.
- When a review is returned, notification is sent to the assigned editor. If all reviews are returned, the manuscript is moved to his/her Action Needed Display. (It can be accessed at anytime through the available display and search options. A decision letter can be composed at any time after editor assignment.)
- Click the "Compose Decision Letter" link or choose the same option on the menu at the top of the manuscript's information page. Compose your letter and click "Submit."
- The manuscript is now moved to the editor-in-chief's office for approval and/or editing. On approval, the letter is sent to the corresponding author and thank-you letters are sent to the reviewers. A link to the review narratives and decision letter (excluding salutation) is appended. Viewing the page updates the database and serves as a read-receipt mechanism.